Summertime in Colorado! Does it get any better than this? Denver is notoriously sunny – take note in some of our other videos where we report on this – and Summer is quite literally where our weather is sublime! Our warm, dry climate makes for the perfect combination to explore the Denver area and beyond. We’re going to share with you a list of the BEST Summer Events in and around Denver:
1) Live Music: It is no secret Denver is home to many unique indoor music venues, but where we really shine is when the weather turns nice and the outdoor music scene comes alive. Red Rocks – need we say more?? Of course, because we also have The Denver Botanic Gardens, Fiddlers Green, Sculpture Park, Levitt Pavilion (did you know this one has a FREE concert series? See a link below to check it out!), PLUS many neighborhoods now doing their own outdoor summer concert series.
2) Camping: Did you know you don’t have to drive all the way to the mountains to get in a weekend of camping? We have many campgrounds located conveniently within 45 minutes of the city – some of our local State Parks such as Golden Gate Canyon, Cherry Creek or Chatfield also offer camping options. Plus, these close-in options also offer amenities like mountain or road biking, hiking/walking
3) See Art: First Friday Art Walks along Santa Fe in the Santa Fe Arts District (First Friday Art Walks — Denver’s Art District on Santa Fe (denversartdistrict.org), Chalk Art Festival in its NEW home in Golden Triangle (used to be on Larimer Square) Denver Chalk Art Festival – Chalk, Art, Festival; New for 2022 is Art RiNo, being held September 5th to 11th to coincide with Westward Music Showcase (Art Rino), and last but not least is the Cherry Creek Arts Festival over the 4th of July Weekend. The Cherry Creek Arts Festival is a long-standing popular event, taking place since 1991!
4) Go on a Culinary Adventure: Summer is the perfect time to branch out of your usual hangouts and try some new restaurants, breweries, dessert spots – especially when they have some killer patios! Here are 3 of our favorites right now:
Farm House at Breckenridge Brewery: Breckenridge Brewery | Colorado Craft Beers & Restaurants (breckbrew.com)
Craft beer — dozens of them — is the backbone of this sprawling 12-acre Littleton -based campus trumpeting a behemoth restaurant and bar, a lovely wraparound porch that peers over thicketed open space and a delightful beer garden scattered with shaded picnic tables and lawn games — essentially everything you could possibly envision in your beervana dreams. Warm-weather outdoor concerts, firepits and a solid menu of beer-friendly food temptations (think charcuterie and cheese, fish-and-chips, elk burgers and chili) furthers the argument to plop your butt in a seat here as often as possible.
Leave it to restaurateur and design genius Justin Cucci (from Linger, Ophelia’s, Vital Root, and Root Down) to erect an epic rooftop patio with equally glorious skyline views from its elevated perch in Lower Highland (LoHi) An elevator whisks you up to the fifth floor of El Five, where Mediterranean tapas and creative cocktails timed for the seasons intersect, and while both the food and libations are noteworthy, we wouldn’t fault Cucci if he charged an entrance fee just for the opportunity to behold the bright lights of the big city from that sky-high deck.
Federales: Federales Denver – Bar in RiNo Denver, CO
this place might have settled into its digs by now (and we know you know about the famed ice shots and basically that this is the after-dark spot in RiNo), but we’re focusing our love on its spacious patio for all your margarita-drinkin’, taco-lovin’ needs. And when the weather’s good (it’s Denver, so almost always), even the indoor roof opens up to let in sunshine and fresh air.
5) Water Parks: Denver is known for being notoriously dry and arid which is why when the sun comes out and the weather heats up you gotta get creative on how to beat the heat. Top places include Water World, Elitch’s, Pirates Cove, Splash Pads at Union Station, Centennial Center, City Park, and the Denver Parks and Rec public pools. Want a longer daytime outing? Get your “beach fix” in by visiting Cherry Creek Reservoir or Chatfield Reservoir – set up on the beach, go paddleboarding or find someone with a boat for some motorized water sports!
6) Get Your Festival On! So many to choose from! For the taco aficionados check out ‘Top Taco’. This event takes place in Westminster in June and features more than 50 restaurants! For Barbecue fans, you must attend the Denver Barbecue Festival – a 3 Day event taking place at Empower Field at Mile High! Looking for some theater? Check out the Colorado Shakespeare Festival in Boulder! For over 60 seasons – this festival has delighted audiences with classic theatre under the stars. Two other popular summer activities include Denver Pride Festival and Parade AND the Five Points Jazz Festival – both taking place in June!